Friday, March 02, 2007

Fresh Brew


I love coffee. . . . You don't understand, I'm passionate about the stuff. So much so, I started roasting my own beans about two months ago. You have never experienced coffee until you've tasted fresh roasted coffee brewed in a press pot.
The picture to the right is one of the batches I roasted less than 30 minutes ago. Tommorrow, it will be in my burr grinder as soon as I get up in the morning. I'll enjoy a few cups (at least 3) with the Saturday newspaper.
I was very surprised how simple and fun it is to roast green coffee beans. I stumbled on to a web site that explains how to do it. sweetmarias.com A few hours on this site, one $19 eBay purchase later and I was roasting coffee in my kitchen. (I use a hot are popcorn popper. No kidding.)
One of the side benefits of roasting coffee beans in the house is the wonderful coffee smell for days. But be warned, roasting coffee beans causes smoke. I set both smoke detectors off almost every time I roast. A very small price to pay and besides I know our detectors are working properly.
Coffee is best within a few days of roasting up to about 10 days. It's only good for a few hours after grinding. This is why I don't purchase roasted coffee anymore. Is there really that big of a difference? You bet. Everyone I've given some of my home roast to has said it's the best coffee they have ever had and I agree. Give it a try.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm passionate about coffee too!! It's funny, 'cause I just had fresh roasted coffee lastnight for the 1st time and it WAS the BEST coffee I've had!