Friday, June 20, 2008

What's your Walk Score?

In my never ending quest to save a buck or two, I'm considering walking to the library today. (I've got a book waiting for pick-up and I want to read the current bicycling magazine.) In searching the internet to find the distance between my house and our library, I came across a cool web site called Walk Score.

What is Walk Score? You put in your home address, then Walk Score lists the services near your house in a bunch of different categories (movie theaters, schools, parks, libraries, grocery stores, restaurants and on and on). It also assigns a "score" which provides a numerical estimate of how good your location is in terns of resources available within reasonable walking distance.

My address didn't score so well. I got a 17 out of 100. Yea but I can jump on my bicycle and ride a 25 mile loop and only pass a dozen cars. (That's how many I counted on my ride today.)

Anyway, the library is 1.28 miles from my house. I'm up for the walk but I don't think my kids will be for it.


3 comments:

Becki said...

Have fun! Atleast it is a nice day today.

Jessica said...

Yikes, my walk score is 71! Good thing I walked to the park last night. Thanks for the tip.ec

Unknown said...

I believe that walk score is cool, but nowadays more and more people drive cars.
Homes are often located in an area where some establishments are easier to get to by car than on foot.
I’ve recently found a type of service on http://drivescore.fizber.com/. It is called Drive Score.
It shows a map of what establishments are in your neighborhood and calculates
a Drive Score based on the number of places within a convenient driving distance.