Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Who's in control

In my conversations and readings here of late, the topic of email has been coming up over and over again. The more I engage in conversations about email, I keep recalling my high school science class when we talked about Pavlov's dogs. (Pavlov was the Russian scientist who conditioned dogs to salivate when a bell rang.)

I get the feeling that's what most people do when they are working on their computer and that "dig" sounds letting them know a new email has just arrived. Most people then can't resist. They stop what they are doing and read the email. (Email is in control.)

I no longer "Pavlov" to the ding. I've turned it off. I'm going one step farther and am about to set-up an auto email response letting people know that I'll only be checking my email twice a day. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (I'm back in control)

Here's what my auto response is going to say:

Thanks for emailing me today. I have scheduled the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to review and respond to my email. If you need to reach me before those times, please call me at 330-365-xxxx.

Thanks.

What do you think? Good idea or bad?

1 comment:

Jason said...

That's a great idea, but i don't know if i would like getting that email every time i emailed someone. Unless you limit it to replying once per person, it could get annoying. Another suggestion is to include something along those lines in your signature at the bottom of the emails.