Saturday, March 14, 2009

Time to think about mowing my grass?

Ok, I am jumping ahead a few weeks weather wise but today it's going to be in the 50's and before I get out for a bike ride today, I thought I'd prep my lawn mower for the coming season.

Here are some tips I came across that should make my mowing season go a little smoother. At least make my mower run smoother.

  1. Fresh Gas -- Fresh gas is critical to an engine's performance. I drain my tank after the last mowing of the year so for me, no worries about old gas.
  2. Engine Oil -- Drain engine oil and replace it with clean SAE 30 engine oil after every 50 hours of operation. Check the lubrication section of your mower's owner's manual for specific oil recommendations. I'm well overdue on this one.
  3. Spark Plug -- Replace the spark plug after every 100 hours of operation. (Every other year works good for me.)
  4. Air Filter -- If the mower's air filter is dirty, the engine may not run properly and may be damaged. Service the air filter after every 25 hours of operation or every season, whichever comes first.
  5. Blade Care -- For best results, lawn mower blades must be kept sharp. Lawn mower blades can be sharpened with a file or on a grinder wheel. Never attempt to sharpen the blade while it is on the mower. Special care should be taken to keep the blade balanced. An unbalanced blade will leave an uneven cut on the lawn and can eventually cause damage to the lawn mower or the engine.
So there you go, 5 tips to get your mower read for the season.

1 comment:

Bob's Occasional Musings said...

I was noticing that my grass needs to be cut as well. Now that my son is off at college, I have two choices: I have my wife cut it .... or I do my part to stimulate the economy and pay some neighbor kid to do it. I will do the latter every time its MY time to mow. (grin)