Monday, July 07, 2008

Stay Encouraged - Investment are on sale

Well, the first 6 months of 2008 are in the books. Usually, the end of a quarter is an exciting time for me. I like to reallocate my investment choices inside my retirement plans. (What, you don't do this? You should, at a minimum of once a year.)

At first, I wasn't very excited at this quarter end. Most of my retirement account balances are less than what they were at 12/31/2007 and that's even after I've put money into my retirement accounts over the last 6 months.

While walking my dogs tonight, that's my thinking time, I remembered that since the value of my mutual funds is currently lower than it was 6 months ago, every time in put money into these funds, I get more shares for the same dollars invested. That's a good thing.

Here's an example. Let's say I have $200 a month coming out of my paycheck for my retirement plan.

5/1/08 per share value of my mutual fund: $10 @ $200 invested is 20 shares purchased.

6/1/08 per share value of my mutual fund: $7.50 @ @200 invested is 26.67 shares.

So, I got 6.67 more shares than I did a month ago with the same $200 invested. Cool.

Here's were perspective comes in. If I'm concentrating on the month-to-month value (from $10 a share down to $7.50) I'll get worried as the value of my investment when down. My focus is way to short. I need to be looking long term. 5, 10, 20 years from now. Long term, being able to purchase more shares now will have a greater payoff.

So, stay encouraged, keep investing. Steady plodding wins the race.

No comments: