Friday, July 18, 2008

Is it time?

There's lots of unwritten rules in a marriage. One of those rules in our house seems to be that the inside of the house stuff my wife takes the lead on and the outside of the house stuff I take the lead on. As such, some months back my wife said we need to start saving to replace our living room furniture. Cindy pointed out our couch is older than our 12yr old daughter and my son using it as a bed hasn't helped. My first though was so? (I didn't say it out loud but I was thinking it.) Being a good husband I said Ok.

Fast forward to today. We've got $1,100 now in our furniture fund and my wife reminded me Andreas Furniture is having their annual warehouse sale. So at 11:30 today I'll be standing in line in the 90 degree heat waiting for the doors to open at noon. I'm always on the lookout for a good deal and their warehouse sale is a good deal.

Here are some important facts/things about this process.
  1. We agreed on the major purchase (In our house a major purchase is anything over $100)
  2. We saved up and are going to pay CASH.
  3. Our furniture fund is not part of our emergency fund.
  4. We are going together to make the major purchase. This will keep us balanced. We won't spend more than we should.
  5. This process strengthens our marriage.

No comments: