Friday, December 26, 2008

Tax credit for Bicyclers. . . . (No Joke $20 a month)

I have no idea how or why this ended up as part of the Federal Bailout but I'm glad it did.

Starting in January, workers who use their bicycles as their primary transportation mode to get to and from work will be eligible for a $20-a-month, tax-free reimbursement from their employers for bicycle-related expenses. In return, employers will be able to deduct the expense from their federal taxes.

$20 a month to ride my bike is more than I get paid now to ride my bike. This will also cover the cost of most of my yearly "replacement part" that I need at the end of each season.

So, if this looks like something you can take advantage of, talk to your employer. I'm sure they are not aware of this upcoming tax benefit.

No comments: