Saturday, November 03, 2007

Are Mutual Funds a bad buy?

This is a good question. Jason, left me a comment and asked me my opinion regarding an article he recently read on Bankrate.com from Phil Town and mutual funds.

The short version of the article is Phil Town doesn't like mutual funds. Keep in mind, Phil makes his living by selling books and "advising" people on how to make money in the stock market. One area I agree with Phil on is in most cases, you are much better off investing in an index fund than in a managed mutual fund.

Index funds beat 80% of managed funds each year. My investments, all mutual funds, include a number of index funds as they provide great diversification. (Diversification - to spread around)

In my opinion, Mutual Funds are the best investment vehicle for 99% of the people who invest.

No comments: