Friday, November 17, 2006

What is a blow category?

I recently received a request to explain the "Blow Category" in my budget. This was a great question. Thanks to the one who asked!

The night before I receive my bi-weekly paycheck, I sit down with my spreadsheet and allocate 100% of my paycheck. I plan were every dollar of it will go. As we all know, no matter how well we plan, unexpected thinks come up. For example, hey dad school pictures are tomorrow I need $20 for them. This is where the "Blow Category" in my budget comes into play.

Each bi-weekly pay, I budget $50 for Blow. I have an envelope that I keep in our home safe, you do have a home safe don't you? When unexpected things pop up, I go to the blow envelope. If there's money we can "Blow" it if no money, no blowing it.

If I find that the amount of cash is growing in the blow envelope to say $80 or more, I will allocate zero dollars out of the next pay for "Blow". Every once and a while when our blow envelope his $80, my wife and I take the family out for a treat. (unplanned dinner or a movie. Something fun.)

I hope I explained it. One last thought. If you don't plan on blowing some cash and you are trying to budget, you'll drive yourself crazy. So budget in some blow money.

Next post I'll explain the "commission" category in my budget.

No comments: