Thursday, November 09, 2006

Invited to another's small group

A few weeks back I was asked by a small group to come give a talk on finances. I thought great, two of my favorite things. (Small Groups and Finances)

It was great I sensed true community between the group members and a desire to know God more. The just finished studying The Treasure Principal. This book will rock your world!

A member of the group asked me to share some tips on finances and I happily accepted the invitation. First I walked them through Dave Ramseys "Baby Steps" I'm a real believer in them. Here are the first three steps:
  1. $1,000 in an emergency fund
  2. Pay off debt using the debt snow ball
  3. Save for retirement.

I also shared how my wife and I allocate our biweekly pay. We tell every dollar where to go before we get our paychecks. We even have a "blow" category. Of course me being a tech junky and an accountant, my allocation plan is in Excel. I'd be happy to share it with you if your interested.

It was great and a privilege to have been part of that small group tonight. I think I'll give my group members a call just to touch base before our next get together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd, I love the fact that you love small groups. I'm so proud to serve with you. Thanks for embracing the idea of community.

Anonymous said...

What is a blow account? Also, you previously wrote about 'commission' money in your budget, could you expand on those-We're always looking for new ways to budget!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What is a blow account? Also, you previously wrote about 'commission' money in your budget, could you expand on those-We're always looking for new ways to budget!

Thanks!