Sunday, October 08, 2006

Budget Time!

Well, it's that time of year. Budgeting Season. As I'm closing the quarter, ok trying to close the quarter, I'm also looking ahead to 2007. Next year is bringing with it some unique challenges in our budget process. As we move into our new facility what impact will this have on our budgets? Truth is, it's very hard to tell.

Conventional wisdom says, our people numbers will go up and our giving will go down. This is playing a key factor in my projections for 2007. As a starting point for our budgets, I'm working off the assumption of a 30% increase in attendance and a (15%) decrease in offerings. I believe this is a "typical" trend based on my conversations with other church's and church consultants who I've spoken with on this topic.

I've looked back to our construction costs to estimate our electric and natural gas for the coming year. Since we will still own our current facility, I have to budget utility costs for this building also.

One very exciting thing for me is that our Worship & Creative Arts Ministry has already submitted to me their 2007 budget. I should give them a prize. Since I didn't budget for a prize a big thank you here on my blog is all they get.

If you are interested in seeing the budget sheets I give our various ministries to use, send me a email and I'll forward you a copy.

Have a great budgeting season!

No comments: