Friday, June 29, 2007

Is it proper to get a great deal?

My last post resulted in 8 comments as of Friday night. I'd venture to say I evoked some emotion. That led me to this post.

Is it proper to get a great deal by negotiating?

My answer is yes. . . . If you follow these five basic rules/techniques in negotiations.

1. Always tell the absolute truth
2. Use the power of cash (see my last post) Cash is:
a) Emotional b) Visual c) has Immediacy
3. Understand and use "Walkaway Power" (It's ok to leave and not buy it.)
4. Make the offer then "Shut up". Wait for them to respond to your offer.
5. You can say to them, "That's not good enough".

Remember, as long as you always tell the truth, everyone wins.

4 comments:

Sue K. said...

Todd, You work for New Pointe, You should ALWAYS set an example of Christian values. That is more important then saving money! Don't ever do anything to make our church look bad!!

John Bunn said...

Everyone's should be entitled to negotiate...that's part of being a good steward of your resources. As long as you tell the truth, like Todd said in his post, I think Christians can and should be able to negotiate a good/fair price. In honest, good negotiations, both parties win.

Good post Todd.

Jason said...

I know this post is dated, but I'd also like to share a story about the power of cash. My fiance and I went wedding band shopping this weekend and had a set amount of cash with us. We weren't going to go over that amount. The first diamond store we went to(Zales) wouldn't negotiate with us, so we just thanked them for their time and left (walk away power). At the next place we went the saleslady was incredibly helpful and directed us to a ring that originally was priced at $379 that we got for $199 and my band was originally $299 and we got that for $250 (after having to special order a larger size). That means we saved over $200 by shopping around and asking for a deal b/c we were paying in cash. If you ever need a story while leading a FPU class feel free to use this (you don't have to use my name - its not about me).

Jason said...

Sorry, the store who negotiated with us was Dunkin's. Gotta give good service a plug too.