Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Deals on Wheels

It's way past time for new tires on my wife's Honda. The thing is we'll soon be trading it in or selling it to one of two friends. Regardless, new tires are needed now.

I did all the usual checking in the Sunday paper and I wasn't real excited to lay down $280 - $350 for tires. So today, I let my fingers do the walking and call the local salvage yards.

On my 3rd call, BINGO. 4 used tires the same size that I currently have on the Honda. The tires have 90% life left. Jeff, the guy at the salvage yard told me $30 each for a total of $120.

A quick stop at home to pick up some cash and off to the salvage yard. When I met Jeff, I told him I was here for the tires and then I pulled out 5 $20's and counted them out in front of him. I said $100 cash was all I could do and then I held out the $20's and shut-up.

Jeff looked at me, then the $20's and after a few seconds of silence said ok.

Let's add up the savings. I'll split the $350 - $280 price. $315 possible vrs $100 actual paid = $215 savings. Wow. Way cool. I love the power of cash and a bargain.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Really, you should have your own game show! You ROCK!

Anonymous said...

120 is a great deal, cut the salvage yard man a break....push your bartering agaist the big guy tire store, not the individual trying to make a living!

Anonymous said...

Todd is trying to make a living too....

Anonymous said...

My guess is Todd's standard of living is much higher than the salvage yard man...

Anonymous said...

If I were handing you your paycheck I'd count it out in cash and leave you short...because that's what Dave Ramsey would do!

John Bunn said...

Guys, guys, guys, the salvage man did not have to say OK to the $100 offer. That was HIS choice. I'm sure Todd would have paid the $120 had the salvage guy stuck to his original price. Salvage guy knows what he needs to do in order to make a profit. I'm sure he's no idiot. And don't assume Todd's standard of living is higher the the salvage guy's. There's $$$ in salvage.

Gordo said...

Why do they even allow "anonymous" posts? Cuz then we're left to guess who made stronger comments than they're willing to put their name to...
targeting the usual suspects, like me & Bubba Joe.

Gordo said...

Get help! Try AA... "Anonymous, Anonymous"

Anonymous said...

well think, you like New Pointe Church cheat people. it just goes to show how, much money means to you people....

what ever happend to money is the root of all evil?

Tom T said...

According to the $50 the salvage yard gave my daughter for her wrecked car, they would have gotten a 100% plus mark-up on the tires on her car if sold for $100. I used to sell lumber at a home improvement store & we were fortunate if we got a 30% mark-up. I have negotiated prices at a salvage yard myself that's part of what they do. I'm confused anonymous ...?

Tina said...

Well, I've been watching this and how it's playing out. I reread the original post and I think maybe since the agreed upon price was $120 and I think it's obvious since you returned home to pick up cash... Did you really only have $100.00? This may be where anonymous is getting his argument. I can vouch for Todd's character and I know he would never cheat someone just to make a point and may I say that Dave Ramsey's financial Peace principals are biblical and have gotten millions out of debt. I'm soon to be another one who this has helped. Todd is just trying to help out by living it and showing proof that it works. Please have grace.

Unknown said...

Mr. Anonymous,
Interesting. You have every right to your opinion, we all have 'em. What I take regard with is your categorizing and grouping of people. Do you even know Todd? And have you met everyone at New Pointe you accuse?

And for an extra, seems like money is important to you too.

Even with your comments of NPCC the heart of so many there would be to love and welcome you.

leeannmiller.net