Sunday, June 04, 2006

Savings vrs Investing. Is there a difference?

I love Sunday's for a number of reasons. Starting with my morning coffee, the local paper and off to the back porch to enjoy the songs of the birds at my bird feeder. This sure puts me in the mood for the upcoming worship service at church. I marvel in God's greatness best with the simple things in life. Another major reason I love Sunday is currently I'm leading another Financial Pease University class. Today we were learning all about investing. (Savings accounts, Money Market Accounts, Stocks, Bonds, ect. . . ) But have you ever thought about the difference between Savings and Investing? There is a difference. The best way to describe this difference is time horizon. How soon do you need to spend your money? 0 - 4 years Savings. > 4 year investing.

So what are good investments for these two different time frames?

Savings
Savings Acct
CD's
Money Markets

Investments
Mutual Funds
ETF's
Individual Stock & bonds (not recommended in my book)
Real Estate

Never Never Never invest through life insurance. I'll go into details on this next time.

No comments: